For int’l master students (Class 2019/2018) who expect to graduate in December 2021, the defense arrangements are as follows:
I. The basic requirements of defense qualification for master’s degree thesis
1. Complete the course work of no less than a total of 24 credits (out of which at least 15 credits are to be acquired from degree courses), compulsory sections of no less than 2 credits (Academic activities- at least 5 times + Elective competence development courses). The credit of Academic Activities will be earned once you submit the Registration form to our office before 10/09/2021. Please check carefully the credits on your transcript.
2. Complete the thesis independently.
3. The degree thesis should be of theoretical or practical values to some extent, which indicates the author has a grasp of the fundamental theories and specialized knowledge in his/her discipline and is capable of further scientific researches and empowered with the ability to apply his/her theories and knowledge comprehensively into practical problems.
4. His/her submission of a qualified proposal and a mi-term evaluation on his/her thesis.
5. The thesis can be written in either Chinese or English. The abstracts (about 800 words long) should be written in both languages. For detailed requirements, please refer to Format of Graduation Thesis for Master Degree.
6. As for problems regarding the degree thesis defense, from its application, evaluation and holding to final award of the degree, all shall refer to UESTC Regulations for Postgraduate Degree Awarding.
7. All concerned fees are paid off.
Get Defense Application forms
Room 222 (Graduate management office of SISE), main building, Shahe campus
Get the hardcopies of International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (II) to fill in.
Submit Defense materials and thesis
/September 10 (Defense application will be rejected if the submission is later than this date.)
1. International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and (II) 【Hardcopy, Room 222】
2. Softcopies of Application for thesis defense form and Duplication check promise (Annex1,4) with handwritten signatures from both the student (e.g. insert a picture of handwritten signature into the Word and then save it as PDF) and the supervisor. JPG/PDF are acceptable.
3. Softcopy of degree thesis (anonymous) and supervisor's approval (screenshot of the email).
4. Submit the documents of No.2 and No.3 in ONE email to email@example.com, and a reply is expected if the email is well received.
5. If your thesis title is different from the one in the proposal/mi-term, please fill in the form of Title change application (Annex 5) and get signatures as specified in the file.
1. Submit the thesis online (WITHOUT student’s name or supervisor’s name (Guide file in annex).
2. Inform the supervisor to consent online application.
1. The defense will be delayed for 2 months if the thesis fails Format check.
2. Duplication check: the defense has to be delayed for 6 months if the rate passes 20%; the student needs to postpone his defense application and modifies the thesis for 1 month if the rate is between 15% and 20%. Meanwhile, the duplication rate of single chapter cannot pass 25%.
3. Individual notices will be sent on QQ if failure occurs.
Thesis review and modification
1. 2 pieces of review comments will be sent in system.
2. Revise the thesis accordingly during about 10 days. No need to print any hardcopy or submit anything. Complete “Revision description1” document (Annex 7).
3. Upload the revised thesis and Revision description1 in system. Inform the supervisor to consent.
Note: if the revised thesis is not uploaded in system or the supervisor doesn’t consent, you cannot attend the defense.
(1 day before the defense date)
*Online defense might be applied to students out of China.
1. Each student prints 6 copies of revised thesis (Student’s name and ID could be presented but NO supervisor’s info; complying with the format specification; informal binding). 5 copies are for Defense Committee, and 1 is for student to answer questions.
2. Bring 5 copies of the thesis and 5 copies of Revision description1 (1 description in 1 thesis) to defense.
Conference Room, Main Building, Shahe Campus
1. The specific defense time will be notified 3 days in advance, please check school website and QQ group.
2. Use PPT to present main work of thesis for no more than 15 minutes. Student’s name and ID could be in the PPT, but NO supervisor’s info. Bring pen and paper to note Defense Committee’s questions.
3. Answer Defense Committee’s questions.
4. Each should carry the student ID card for inspection.
The defense result will be announced at the end of defense. One hour's break at noon is expected.
Submit final thesis and check GMIS info
1. Revise the thesis according to suggestions of Defense Committee. Communicate with supervisor to have a final version. Finish Revision description 2(Annex 8).
2. Check Graduation info in GMIS system (Annex 6).
3. Submit 2 hardcopies of final version (formal cover&binding, with student and supervisor’s signatures on corresponding position) to Room 222.
4. Submit softcopy in library system (see Guide file in annex). Attention: the page with signatures should be scanned and added to softcopy.
UESTC Int’l office will be in charge of graduation procedures.
III. Guidance for filling form “International Students Registration Form for Master Degree of UESTC (I) and (II)”
姓名Name：（Same as passport）
所属学院School：School of Information and Software Engineering
申请时间Master Degree Application Date：2021.09.10
Graduate Management Office
School of Information and Software Engineering